Cognitive science is the interdisciplinary scientific study of mind and its processes. It examines what cognition is, what it does and how it works. It includes research on how information is processed (in faculties such as perception, language, memory, reasoning, and emotion), represented, and transformed in behaviour, (human or other animal) nervous system or machine (e.g., computer). Cognitive science consists of multiple research disciplines, including psychology, artificial intelligence, philosophy, neuroscience, linguistics, anthropology, sociology, and education. It spans many levels of analysis, from low-level learning and decision mechanisms to high-level logic and planning; from neural circuitry to modular brain organization. The termcognitive science was coined by Christopher Longuet-Higgins in his 1973 commentary on the Lighthill report, which concerned the then-current state ofArtificial Intelligence research. In the same decade, the journal Cognitive Science and the Cognitive Science Society were founded. In 1982, Vassar College became the first institution in the world to grant an undergraduate degree in Cognitive Science.
- @stuartdn is attending a 360/VR film-making course at @Raindance this weekend so can use our @oculus & @htcvive headsets to the fullest. 1 day ago
- Just enjoyed an inspiring @cityuni_hcid seminar by new Reader @alxndrt formerly of @MSFTResearchCam. Think we've found a #HCID2018 keynote! 1 day ago
- We had to quickly swap from face to face to online user testing this afternoon with no prior notice and we delivered it seamlessly. 2 days ago
- Acquisition ACRE Action research actor Agile behaviour closed comscore content context Contribute-To end Links definition Dissertation easywinwin ethical ethnography evaluations focus groups functional Global navigation goals groupware hci Heuristic evaluation i* IA Idealism Information Architecture Interaction Design Interviews Literature review Local navigation metrics negotiation Norman object observation open paper Personas porfolio Prototypes Qualitative data Questionnaires Realism Requirements Research result RSS scenarios SDM social-technical SRM Storyboards system Task analysis tasks technical thinkalouds three circles type UI Usability Usability testing Use cases User User-Centred design User Interface Technology users User stories validation viewpoints VOLERE Web analytic wireframes
- Gone Fishin' August 18, 2014After years of loyal service, findability.org has retired. This is the last post. Thanks for all of your support and encouragement over the past nine years. Peter Morville is now blogging over at intertwingled.org. See you there!
- Finding Intertwingled August 14, 2014Intertwingled is now available in print and digital formats on Amazon. Ironically, it's hard to find via Amazon's search. In the US, the ebook is hidden. In the UK, it's the paperback that's unfindable. But I'm not upset. Amazon is in the process of linking the print and Kindle versions. This happens with every book. Most authors are […]
- Gone Fishin' August 18, 2014